Intelligent Aerodynamic Automobile – from Mercedes-Benz
The Mercedes-Benz IAA Concept from 2015 is, how Mercedes likes to claim it, two cars in one. In terms of aerodynamics, the IAA concept is a world champion for a four-door coupé with a Cd value of 0.19. That is a remarkable result. The “other car” is a four-door coupe that embodies irresistible design. What is exciting, this lovely luxury car switches automatically from design mode to aerodynamic mode. This happens when the vehicle reaches a speed of 80 km/h, whereby numerous aerodynamics measures alter the shape of the vehicle. This sounds futuristic and bold. But what does that mean in reality… Let’s check that out.
This means that the active car components literally change its visual identity.
Active, adaptive aerodynamic features
- A novel dynamically controllable, the segmented grill is able to locally open and close to constantly provide the best compromise between cooling of the cars engine and improved airflow.
- Below the grill, a front spoiler is pulled backward to channel air underneath the car.
- Two aero flaps integrated into the bumper move outwards and backward to guide the air over the wheels respectively the front wheel arches.
- Through centrifugal force, adaptive rims change their shape from a sporty 5-spoke design towards a flat disk wheel and this way significantly reduces aerodynamic turbulence.
- In the rear, eight segments automatically move out and extend the shape of the car. The extension can go up to 390 millimeter which minimizes the wake vortex.
The interior design is also striking. Dashboard reminds a bit of the 2014 Mercedes-Benz S-Class’ and yet is even better.
The Concept IAA was designed as a plug-in hybrid drivetrain that combines a gasoline engine and at least one electric motor.
We want to say that, without a doubt, Mercedes-Benz IAA Concept is by far the most impressive of all concepts we saw in recent years. Watch this video and feast your eyes.
Read more in Cars!
Follow us on Facebook too.